7/18/2011

patti smith about new york city



TheTalks: When you look back on the New York you knew in the seventies, how does it make you feel looking at what New York is like today?
Patti Smith: It’s shocking, I still can’t believe it. Tom Verlaine and I lived in the East Village, we had a place that cost maybe a hundred dollars a month – six floor walk up with no bathroom – and now that same apartment is like a thousand dollars. Not only did it change aesthetically because they destroyed a lot of places, but the beauty of New York used to be that young people could come from all over with no money, having only creative instincts and get some cheap apartment, get a job at a book store as I did, and build their life. You can’t do that anymore; it’s a completely different economic structure. I mean I look at cafes and there are no people sitting around writing poetry anymore.
- Patti Smith in an interview for the talks / pic source

Thats just the way cities should still be.

1 comment:

Amethyst said...

patti smith...


den satz finde ich total traurig "I mean I look at cafes and there are no people sitting around writing poetry anymore."

Post a Comment